Moultrie Observer

Local News

December 20, 2012

Fire damages Bethel Ave. home

MOULTRIE — A Wednesday night fire severely damaged an add-on portion of an East Bethel Avenue residence but the main house was saved, a volunteer fire official said.

Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office reports said that 24-year-old Malcolm Tripp was awake at 11:42 p.m. and was able to wake 73-year-old Marjorie Tripp, allowing them to get out of the 21 E. Bethel Ave. residence safely.

The fire apparently started in the addition, which contained a laundry room, said Chief Glen Garner of the Northside Volunteer Fire Department.

“We believe it was the clothes dryer that started it,” he said. “That was the area where the fire was heavy.”

The fire was under control within 15 minutes of firefighters’ arrival, he said, but extinguishing all the hot spots in the old house took longer, he said. There were no injuries.

Funston and Southside departments assisted the Northside station.

1
Text Only
Local News