A man severely burned in a meth lab explosion last year was charged Tuesday with making the drug.
Brandon Thomas Truett, 32, of Bloomingdale, Ga., was charged with manufacturing methamphetamine, violation of the Georgia Controlled Substances Act and possession of tools for the commission of a crime.
Investigator Sean Ladson of the Drug Enforcement Team said Truett was indicted by the most recent grand jury in connection with the Aug. 21, 2011, explosion on Tillman Road.
Ladson said authorities were called early that morning to the residence by someone who said his brother had been burned severely. Truett allegedly told investigators he was making meth when the cooking vessel exploded.
“I don’t know if he was ever on fire or if it blew up, burned him real quick and it was just a chemical burn,” Ladson said, but Truett was Life Flighted from Colquitt Regional Medical Center to the burn center in Augusta.
Ladson said someone apparently tried to conceal the cooking vessel in the trash can. A partially burned towel and a partially burned ball cap Truett had been wearing were found inside the residence, he said.
No finished product was found, according to a report at the time of the incident, but materials used to make meth were found. Ladson said the DET had to call a company to dispose of the materials.
Ladson said the DET believes other people were present at the time of the explosion, but so far investigators haven’t acquired enough evidence to prosecute them.
Truett has already served time in the state prison system for another charge of manufacturing methamphetamine. He was sentenced to six years in a 2005 case but was released in May 2008 after serving about 20 months.
• Patricia Katrina Stover, 29, of Quitman, was charged Wednesday with disorderly conduct.
• Teresa Mendez, 31, of 376 Newsome Road, was charged Wednesday with failure to yield when entering a roadway and driving without a license.
• Sabrina Victoria Baker, 23, Barwick, was charged Wednesday with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
• Clarence Allen Chafin, 42, 416 Second St. N.W., was charged Oct. 10 with probation violation.
• Juana Sarai Alcantara, 30, 339 Yogi Bear Road, was charged Wednesday with driving without a license and failure to stop at a stop sign.
• Justina Marie Folsom, 22, 109 Charm St. Apt. 2, Norman Park, was charged Wednesday with probation violation.
• Russell Yelverton, 42, of Thomasville, was charged Tuesday with probation violation.
• Kenron Allen Elkins, 35, 281 Doc Lindsay Road, was charged Tuesday with theft by taking.
• Quinton Antonio Childs, 24, Morven, was charged Wednesday with probation violation.