A driver with a suspended license determined to avoid a trip to jail Tuesday drove away from a traffic stop, despite an officer jolting him with a Taser as he sped away, Moultrie Police Department reports said.
An officer stopped the driver of a 2000 Ford Explorer at 10:22 a.m. near the intersection of First Street and Fifth Avenue Northwest because he was not wearing a seat belt properly, agency reports said. A check on the car revealed that the vehicle’s registration was suspended.
The man, who told the officer he had the seat belt around his arm, also had a suspended license, police reports said.
When the officer ordered him out of the vehicle the driver tried to start the vehicle, the reports said. The officer tried to open the door, which was locked, and grabbed the driver’s shirt through the open window.
When the man began to resist and got the vehicle started the officer fired the Taser, with both probes attaching in the driver’s rib area.
The man continued driving with the wires attached, and the officer turned the unit off for safety reasons as the driver approached other vehicles in the parking lot.
Officers searched for the vehicle but were unable to locate it.
When found, the driver will face charges of driving while license suspended or revoked, fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, duty to obey, driving with suspended or revoked registration and safety belt violation.
Moultrie Police Department
• Dalton Ray Jones, 19, 717 1/2 Hillcrest Ave., was charged Tuesday with probation violation and contempt of court
• Fidencio Zuniga Moreno, 56, Lakeland, was charged Monday with no license and child safety seat violation.
Moreno was stopped after an officer saw him driving with a small child standing up in a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, police reports said.
• James Cleveland Vinson, 58, 2806 Second St. N.W., was charged Tuesday with probation violation.
• Brandon Thomas Truett, 31, 873 Tillman Road, was charged Tuesday with driving with suspended license and defective equipment.
• Evony Denay Richardson, 17, 618 Fourth Court N.W. Apt. A, was charged Tuesday with criminal trespass (bench warrant).
Richardson was arrested after an officer responding to a report of shots fired at 11:15 p.m. near Third Street Southeast and Hillcrest Avenue saw her with a group of people.
When officers called in Richardson’s name they were told that there was a warrant for her arrest, police reports said.
• Timothy Lynn Summerlin, 48, 522 Indian Lake Drive, was charged Wednesday with driving with suspended license and possession of marijuana.