A 16-year-old student faces a lengthy list of charges, including marijuana possession, obstruction of officers and battery, in connection with a Wednesday morning assault at Colquitt County High.
Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office reports said that while in the school cafeteria the teen threw a chair at 14-year-old Paul Dawson and then hit him in the back of the head before running out of the school and through a parking lot and jumping a fence.
A school official caught him about 200 yards away from campus and he was brought to a principal’s office, where suspected marijuana was found during a search. The teen then again ran and got into a hallway where he was stopped by another school employee, sheriff’s reports said.
He was charged with battery on a school teacher or personnel, escape, possession of marijuana, obstruction of officers, disruption of a public school and battery. The student was taken to the state youth detention center in Crisp County.
In a separate incident at C.A. Gray Junior High, a student was detained after three small bags of suspected marijuana were found in his backpack.
The 14-year-old turned over the suspected marijuana after he was questioned by an assistant principal who had been told the student had marijuana, sheriff’s reports said.
In other arrests:
• Kevin Artis Owens, 27, 2202 W. Pensacola St., Tallahassee, Fla., was charged Thursday with driving while license withdrawn and speeding.
• Steven Jamal Johnson, 29, 316 Fifth St. N.W., was charged Wednesday with battery (family violence).
• Donnie Lee Tillman, 57, 468 Southern Ave., Berlin, was charged Wednesday with driving under the influence, open container violation and speeding.
• Arey Rosia Estrada, 28, 171 Plum Nelly Lane, Norman Park, was charged Wednesday with no driver’s license and running red light.
• Tonica L. Wimberly, 38, 1102 Sixth St. S.W., was charged Wednesday with theft by shoplifting.
She is accused of taking two air mattresses, valued at $120, out of Wal-Mart, 641 Veterans Parkway S., without paying for them.