A 6-week-old boy apparently died of natural causes after falling asleep early Sunday morning on his mother’s chest.

Zayden Jeremiah Walker was pronounced dead Sunday at Colquitt Regional Medical Center after relatives summoned medical personnel after finding that the child was not breathing.

The mother, Shanlexis Walker, told authorities that at about 3 a.m. she gave Zayden a bottle while sitting in a chair and that he fell asleep on her chest, Colquitt Coroner Verlyn Brock said Monday.

“Then the mama fell asleep,” he said.

No cause of death has been determined and possibly never will be, but foul play is not suspected, Brock said.

“It’s just a very misfortunate accident,” he said.

Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office reports said that volunteer fire personnel were dispatched after a call was received shortly before 8 a.m. of a baby not breathing at a Hartsfield residence in the 1700 block of Bass Road. When the mother woke the baby was between her and a lounge chair, the reports said.

 

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you