MOULTRIE, Ga. — The pastor, officers, and members of Williams Tabernacle Christian Methodist Episcopal Church will celebrate their 131st Church Anniversary at 3 p.m. Sunday, May 26.
The Rev. Alfort Belin Jr. of the Everette Temple Christian Methodist Episcopal Church in Tifton and the Rev. Freddie Williams Jr. of Union Missionary Baptist Church in Moultrie will be the speakers for the occasion.
This year's theme is "A message from our Lord to His Church: The things which are, and the things which shall be,” based on Revelation Chapter 1. Belin will deliver the message proclaiming "The things which are," and Williams will proclaim "The things which shall be."
Belin, born in South Carolina and reared in Plainfield, N.J., has received associate degrees; a bachelor's degree in social sciences from the University of the Philippines; a master's degree in public administration from Valdosta State University, and a Doctoral Degree in Theological Studies from Bethany Divinity College and Seminary in Dothan, Ala. He served in the United States Air Force for 24 years. While in the Air Force, Belin received his calling to the ministry. After retiring from the Air Force, he was ordained in the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. Belin also retired from the Georgia Department of Rehabilitation Program as a business consultant.
Belin is the son of Alfort Belin Sr. and Deborah Belin. He has three children and seven grandchildren.
Williams, a native of Sylvester, Ga., is the son of the late Freddie Williams Sr. and Essie Williams. He was educated in Worth and Dougherty counties. Presently he is attending The South Georgia Academy for Protestant Ministers here in Moultrie. Williams served his country during the Vietnam War in the United States Marine Corps.
In 2011, Williams was called to preach under the leadership of the late Pastor C. L. Williams. He was called to be the pastor of Union Missionary Baptist Church on Oct. 14, 2014.
Williams is married to Sylvia Pittman Williams, and they have seven children, six grandchildren, and three goddaughters.
In December 1870, the organizing General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church set up a separate and independent church for its colored members. Just 18 years later, in 1888, with people migrating from different places seeking jobs and housing in Moultrie and needing a house of worship, the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church in Moultrie was born. On May 17, 1954, "Colored" was changed to "Christian."
The Moultrie church was organized in a small house on Fifth Street Southeast. The original name was Graham Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, but it was changed to Williams Tabernacle Christian Methodist Episcopal Church in honor of the late Bishop R.S. Williams.
The public is invited to join with the church in this anniversary celebration.