MOULTRIE -- Wednesday brought out only one qualifying candidate in local races.
Johnny Hardin, 54, qualified as a Democrat to run against Merle Hall, 68, long-time representative for Colquitt County District 6. Hardin is the second candidate to vie for Hall's seat. Former county administrator Marion Hay qualified as a Republican Monday.
In 2002, Hardin campaigned for the chairman's position against Max Hancock but later dropped out because it wasn't an opportune time business-wise, he said. But, he said, "I think now is."
Hardin has been service manager for Jackson Transmissions for more than 20 years.
He has been a regular at county commission meetings, listening and learning for 12 years, he said.
"We're just going to put our hat in and run it, enjoy it and see what happens," the candidate said.
In the other two races for county commission seats, Republican Rebecca Whitaker, 49, is challenging Commissioner Ray Norman, 66, a Democrat, in District 2.
Commissioner Billy Herndon, a Democrat, has yet to be challenged for District 4.
This Week's Circulars
THOMAS COUNTY [mdash] Andrew Dewey Barber, Jr., 83, of Thomas Co., died Friday, June 11, 2021 at his home. Arrangements have been entrusted to Baker Funeral Home.
VALDOSTA [mdash] Sybil Ester Zeigler Cummings, 92, of Valdosta, died Friday, June 11, 2021 at her home. Arrangements have been entrusted to Baker Funeral Home.
MOULTRIE [mdash] Jean Hamilton, 80, of Moultrie, died Thursday, June 10, 2021 at her home surrounded by her loved ones. Arrangements have been entrusted to Baker Funeral Home.
MOULTRIE [mdash] Barbara Komorowski, 73, of Moultrie, died Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at Legacy Village. Arrangements have been entrusted to Baker Funeral Home.
- Community welcomes First National Bank of Moultrie
- Owner of Nashville Tractor pleads guilty to fraud
- Slack's journey: From Alaska to Colquitt County
- Look, Up in the Sky: Reviewing South Georgia's UFO sightings
- Doerun woman dies in Tifton collision
- Crime reports for June 11, 2021
- Colquitt County Education Foundation hires director, mentor coordinator
- School system salutes retiring teachers
- 50 Yard Line cuts ribbon
- Driver flees Berlin police, crashes during chase