MOULTRIE — Arson is suspected in one of two house fires Thursday night. No one was injured.

Moultrie and Colquitt County firefighters were called to two house fires Thursday night, one in the county and one within the Moultrie city limits. Firefighters had to be called back out to the houses a second time early Friday morning.

Moultrie Fire Department said firefighters were called to a vacant house at 805 Third Ave. N.W. on fire at 9:15 p.m. Thursday. There was heavy fire showing at the rear of the residence and in the attic when firefighters arrived.

The firefighters had the fire under control at 9:32 p.m. Thursday, but reports said there was heavy fire damage to the rear of the residence. There was also heavy fire and heat damage to the entire attic.

The fire appeared to have started by an unknown cause in the residence’s enclosed porch or utility room, reports said. Firefighters also found three burned areas on the exterior walls of the house that appeared suspicious.

Reports said Moultrie Fire Department Assistant Chief Lamar Plymel was called to the scene to investigate the suspicious spots. Firefighters also found a board that had been used to secure the door, and they replaced it before leaving the scene.

Firefighters drove by the vacant house, owned by Fairway Property Management, about 1 a.m. Friday to check the house, but reports said nothing was found. Firefighters were called back to the house, however, after a fire was reported at 4:48 a.m. Friday.

Moultrie firefighters returned to the house and saw heavy fire from the front of the house when they arrived, reports said. The fire was under control at 5:13 a.m., but there was heavy fire damage to the front of the house, and the attic was completely burned out.

Plymel said firefighters found that the board they had replaced Thursday night had been removed when they returned to the house early Friday morning. Both fires at this one location were believed to have been intentionally set by an unknown person, and the Moultrie Fire Department and Moultrie Police Department are currently investigating the fires as arson.

The Autreyville Volunteer Fire Department also responded to a house fire Thursday night and was called back to the scene early Friday morning. The fire they worked, however, was not believed to have been intentionally set but rather ignited from a controlled burn, officials said.

Autreyville Volunteer Fire Chief Timmy Cooper said volunteer firefighters were called to the scene of a fire at 1937 Highway 33 South at 7:10 p.m. Thursday. Kevin Kinsey, the owner of the house, had set a controlled burn that ignited the house. The house was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

The fire was mainly contained to the roof, but Cooper said the house was not sound to allow firefighters to enter the house to fight the fire. Firefighters did, however, get the fire under control and left the scene Thursday night.

The volunteer firefighters were called back to the scene at 5:29 a.m. Friday after the fire apparently reignited, Cooper said. The fire was brought under control, but the volunteer firefighters returned to the scene later Friday to tear down the charred remains and fight hot spots.

Cooper said the fire appears to have been unintentionally set, but the cause is currently under investigation. The Georgia Forestry Commission was assisting with the investigation into the cause of the fire.

React to this story:


Recommended for you