MOULTRIE, Ga. — A Moultrie resident’s son was released from a Macon hospital Monday following a Halloween night attack in Americus that left him unconscious and hospitalized.

Tyler Ellis, a Georgia Southwestern State University junior, was attacked outside of an off-campus fraternity party on Oct. 31.

He was subsequently transported to Phoebe Sumter Medical Center in Americus, then transferred to Navicient Health Trauma Center in Macon and admitted to its neuro intensive care unit shortly after.

In a Nov. 3 Facebook post, Stephanie Ellis, his mother, wrote that he was struck in the back of the head, causing his unconsciousness.

“While he was unconscious, they proceeded to kick him in the face that caused multiple facial fractures,” she wrote. “This was a senseless crime that never should have happened.”

Besides the multiple facial fractures, Tyler Ellis suffered brain bleeds in two separate areas and a skull fracture, his mother said. The brain bleeds were stabilized as of Monday.

Stephanie Ellis was unable to reveal more details as GSW campus police and Americus Police are investigating the matter.

GSW campus police told The Moultrie Observer they couldn’t reveal any information on the matter either. The school itself did release a statement, however.

“The safety and well-being of our students is our top priority,” GSW’s statement read. “Campus police are working diligently in conjunction with the Americus Police Department to identify and arrest the assailants.”

Stephanie Ellis wrote in a Nov. 4 Facebook post that Tyler’s getting better day by day.

“Just watching him interact with his friends and brothers made my heart smile big,” she wrote. “We are confident he will make a full recovery. The team of doctors, nurses, and physical therapists he has had have all been wonderful.”

But even so, she said Tyler will have lasting issues and symptoms from his injuries in the months to come. Amongst them are “extreme” headaches, dizziness, left ear hearing loss and balance issues.

Stephanie told The Observer Tuesday that Tyler is on anti-seizure medication as a precaution and will have computerized tomography scans in the following months. She doesn’t know when he’ll return to school.

“It’s a day by day thing,” she said. “Physically, right now, he can’t return; he’s not ready. He still has balance issues with walking. He walks very guarded like he has to think about the steps he takes so he doesn’t fall.”

Tyler Ellis was discharged from the hospital on Monday and returned to his home in Moultrie later that night.

“No one should have to endure what my son did,” Stephanie Ellis wrote. “I am confident his attackers will be caught.”

Tyler’s family have set up a gofundme by the name of “Justice for Tyler” asking for help with the hospital bills. It has a goal of $10,000 with $1,390 raised so far.

To donate, visit

React to this story:


Recommended for you