MOULTRIE — A Saturday afternoon traffic stop in Berlin yielded more than 15 pounds of suspected marijuana and resulted in felony drug charges against the driver.
The Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office charged Johnny Lee Brown III, 28, 802 Chestnut St., Adel, with trafficking marijuana. He also faces additional charges from Berlin police.
The Berlin Police Department stopped a 2008 Chevrolet Impala that Brown was driving at about 5:10 p.m. Saturday, sheriff’s Inv. Chris Robinson said. He was not sure why they initially detained the driver.
After he was stopped, Brown initially gave a false name and date of birth to Berlin police, Robinson said. They also detected the odor of marijuana and noticed that there was a large, unopened cardboard box that had been mailed to an address in Gainesville, Fla.
“They found out he had a felony (warrant) out of Adel,” he said. “The (marijuana) smell was so strong. They opened it up because they could smell it.”
Inside the box was a little less than 17 pounds of suspected marijuana, Robinson said.
In other arrests:
• Stacy Allen Taylor Sr., 65, 330 East Gate Drive, Norman Park, was charged Sunday with simple battery after Robert Dandron, of the same address, reported that Taylor grabbed his throat and choked him.
Dandron had a red mark on the side of the neck, sheriff’s reports said. Taylor told police that he did hold Dandron by the throat but did not choke him.
• Carlos Alexis Reyes, 17, 541 Coy Cox Road, Omega, was charged Friday with criminal trespass and obstruction of an officer.
Arrmandina Cuiroga, Reyes’ mother, reported that the teen broke her cellular telephone. When an officer attempted to talk with Reyes he ran outside and was caught after a brief chase, sheriff’s reports said.
• Ignacio Arizmendi Cervantes, 1300 Veterans Parkway Apt. 211, Houston, Texas, was charged Friday with driving without license and failure to drive within single lane.
• Elias Avalos Buendia, 49, 131 Millpond Road, was charged Saturday with driving under the influence, driving without license and failure to drive within single lane.
• Michael Gary Hancock, 53, 846 31st Ave. S.E., was charged Sunday with driving in violation of license restriction, speeding and driving without license on person.
• Charles Lee Walley, 29, 2105 S. Main St., was charged Thursday with stalking.
• Caseita Latreal Jenkins, 37, 505 11th Court Southeast, was charged Saturday with probation violation, two counts forgery and party to the crime of identification fraud.
• Leah Denetra Reynolds, 21, 1344 Summer Circle, was charged Friday with cruelty to animals after police responded to a call of a dog left inside a car outside a store.
When an officer arrived in the 600 block of Veterans Parkway he found that a bystander had been able to remove the dog because the windows were partially down. The bystander had cooled the dog off in his car and given it some water.
When Reynolds came out and police told her the Humane Society of Moultrie-Colquitt County was on the way Reynolds said that she already was planning to take the dog back to the pound. She said that she could not keep the dog at her residence and that her mother, who originally got the animal, was allergic to it.
She was issued a subpoena.
• Jerry Lovett Jr., 23, 405 Seventh Ave. S.W., was charged Friday with criminal trespass.
• Freddie James Johnson, 35, 519 Seventh Ave. S.E., was charged Friday with driving with suspended license.
Darshanique Dashwandra Smith, 22, of the same address, was charged with probation violation on an Escambia County, Fla., warrant.
• Tracy Gage Kelley, 23, 407 John Vickers Road, Norman Park, was charged Friday with possession of marijuana.
• Shawn Patrick Harris, 36, 2329 Sharon Drive Apt. 1, Albany, was charged Friday with failure to yield when entering roadway, no insurance, suspended registration and expired license.
• Shiquellea Smith, 30, 29, 411 Ninth Ave. N.W. Apt. C, was charged Saturday with theft by shoplifting.
Wal-Mart, 641 Veterans Parkway, reported that Smith concealed merchandise valued at $259 and walked past cash registers.
• Teri Hardy, 30, 492 Laurence Road, Pavo, was charged Saturday with driving with license suspended, suspended tag and no insurance.
• Miguel Carranza Jr., 18, 380 Honey Bear Road, was charged Sunday with disorderly conduct and failure to yield after stopping.
• Pablo Cervante Rivera, 63, 1008 Overlook Drive, was charged Sunday with no driver’s license.
• Jose Antonio Rodriguez, 36, 570 Greenfield Church Road, was charged Sunday with no driver’s license and seat belt violation.
• Orrondo D. West, 43, 623 Ninth Ave. S.E., was charged Sunday with no driver’s license and seat belt violation.
• Wytarium Shakeri Brown, 725 W. Pinson St. Apt. C, Sylvester, was charged Sunday with theft by shoplifting.
She is accused of trying to leave Wal-Mart with 91 items of merchandise for which she did not pay and worth a total of $429.
• John Junior Lumpkin, 40, 3215 Cannon Road, was charged Sunday with disorderly conduct.• Ronnie Dean Spradlin II, 44, 10831 Eason Crossing Road, Boston, was charged Sunday with theft by taking.
• Cynthia Lynn Dow, 34, 41 West Boulevard, was charged Saturday with obstruction of an officer, driving while license withdrawn and giving false information or name.
• Donald Travis Trull, 34, 362 C.O. Kennedy Road.
• Marcus Dewayne Heath, 26, 422 Hobson St., Albany.
Georgia State Patrol
• Sheri Lynn Plinske, 39, 836 Boat Landing Road, Gordon, Ala., was charged Saturday with driving under the influence.
• Elizabeth Daphne Walker, 27, 1271 Bob Taylor Road, was charged Sunday with possession of marijuana.
• Jack Rodney Secord, 175 Fletcher, Ave., was charged Saturday with no insurance.
• Bentley’s, 1520 S. Main St., reported Friday the theft of an Asus laptop computer valued at $700.
• Chaudhry Ulla-Sahi, 33, Adel, reported Friday the theft of property valued at $8,300 including a tablet computer, gold necklace, iPhone 5 and cash.
• Maria Coates, 100 block Fourth Street Southwest, reported Sunday the theft of a small safe and cash with a total value of $300.
• Walter Wiggins, 800 block Funston-Sigsbee Road, reported Friday the theft of property valued at $1,100 that belongs to Gary Wiggan in the 500 block of Allen Road.
The stolen property consisted mostly of farm equipment including a leveler, tractor pole lift, box blade and scrap metal.
• Elizabeth Huffman, 23, Moultrie, reported Aug. 5 the theft of a wallet she misplaced while shopping in the 600 block of Veterans Parkway. The wallet and contents were valued at $440.
• Melanie Bougourd, 500 block 27th Street Southeast, reported Friday the theft of food or beverages valued at $10.
• Shontay Young, 800 block Shy Manor Drive, reported Friday that a male acquaintance asked to look at her daughter’s cellular telephone, and when she handed it to him he told her the phone was his and left with it.
The Pantech phone was valued at $30.
• Je’ona Williams, 600 block First Avenue Southeast, reported Saturday that she lent her 2009 Cadillac SRX to a male acquaintance so he could help with their child and that he never returned it.
Williams told police she called his telephone and sent text messages to him multiple times. She also has seen him driving the car around town.
• Dollar General, 2411 S. Main St., reported Saturday that a man shoplifted several items and, when confronted outside by an employee, handed over three packages of beef jerky before getting in the passenger seat of a truck and leaving.
Police talked with the driver, who said she had dropped the man off.
• Bobbie Spence, 300 block Pickron Street, Pelham, reported Friday that a female relative grabbed her by the arm as Spence was driving in the 6900 block of Highway 111.
Spence had two scratches on her arm, sheriff’s reports said. A deputy patrolled the area but did not find the woman.
• Shetierrenny Edwards, 24, Moultrie, reported Friday that a male acquaintance hit her in the left side of the face while she was walking in the 400 block of Second Street Northwest.
Edwards had no visible injuries, police said.
• Myrtle Richard, 300 block Kendalwoood Drive, reported that a 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander was scratched on both sides and the front.
• Samantha Connell, Norman Park, reported Sunday that a male acquaintance broke a laptop computer and printer at a residence they formerly shared in the 1200 block of Funston-Sale City Road and that some of her clothes were thrown outside.
• Ravl Delgado, 6600 block U.S. Hwy. 319 N., Omega, reported Friday that a neighbor’s dog has killed four of his goats over the past three weeks.
• Martha Bolin, 200 block Earl Hall Road, reported Friday that a concrete John Deere bench was damaged.
• Annie Green, 300 block Fourth Street Northwest, reported Friday that someone crashed into a large cactus, knocking it into her driveway, and also ripped her mail box out of the ground.
• Roscoe Herndon, 400 block Herndon Road, reported Friday that a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado was struck by another car while parked in the 600 block of Veterans Parkway.
• Shaqunn Harper, 1400 block 11th Street Southwest, reported Saturday that a 2007 Toyota Camry was damaged.
The car had scratch marks down both sides and on the hood, with damages estimated at more than $500, police said.
• Sharon Summerlin, 400 block Seventh Avenue Southwest, reported Saturday that someone scratched a 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser down both sides, the hood and trunk. Damages were more than $500.
• Herman Johnson, 44, Moultrie, reported Friday that a 1999 Toyota Corolla was struck by another car while parked in the 1400 block of First Street Northeast.
• Mairena Crisostomo, 24, Norman Park, reported Saturday that a 2002 Ford Focus SE was struck by another driver while parked in the 800 block of First Avenue Southeast.
• Daylon Reid, 1200 block 11th Street Southwest, reported Saturday that he noticed someone holding a cell telephone up to a window pane of his front door.
When he opened the door and went outside he saw someone dressed in black running east on 13th Avenue.
• Karil Williams, 37, Moultrie, reported Friday that a male acquaintance was stalking her.