involved in crashes

By John Oxford

MOULTRIE -- A total of five cars and one motorcycle were involved in Colquitt County accidents over the weekend. There were six people injured as a result of those accidents and were taken to Colquitt Regional Medical Center (CRMC). Three of those people now face charges.

The first of those accidents happened just after 4 p.m. Friday. Reports said a Honda Passport, driven by Ayanna Greene, 22, was traveling down 17th Avenue Southeast and stopped at the stop sign on Second Street Southeast. As Greene entered the intersection, she was struck by a Buick Lesabre driven by Willene Tomlinson, 85.

Both Greene and Tomlinson were taken to Colquitt Regional, along with a passenger in Greene's vehicle, Ladanza Davis, 18, police reports said. Greene and Davis were treated and released from CRMC while Tomlinson was listed in fair condition.

A single motorcyclist was injured in an accident around 10:30 p.m. Friday. Police responded to the scene at the intersection of Northside Drive and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, and a crowd had gathered around the victim. He suffered injuries to his face, back, chest and right arm. Police stabilized the victim until medical personnel arrived.

Police noted the odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from the victim, reports said. He was then taken to CRMC and identified as Johnny Lee Downs, 35. He has since been treated and released from the hospital.

Police interviews with witnesses to the accident revealed Downs was driving the Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle at a high rate of speed, police reports said. One witness estimated his speed in excess of 100 mph, and skid marks on Northside Drive estimated the speed between 75 and 85 mph, police reports showed. Another witness told police he passed her vehicle at a speed of approximately 45 mph before he lost control.

At the hospital, police reports said Downs told police he was traveling up to 100 mph and admitted to consuming alcohol, and a blood sample was taken. A warrant has been issued for Downs upon release for charges of DUI, DUI less safe, driving too fast for conditions, driving without a license, driving without a helmet and striking a fixed object.

A third accident, involving a single vehicle, happened around 3 a.m. Sunday. State patrol reports said a Toyota Camry, being driven by Clyde Monroe Lawton, 57, lost control as he attempted to negotiate a curve on Funston-Doerun Road. He crossed over the center line and back into the westbound lane before going off the road's shoulder.

Lawton's vehicle slid down an embankment toward a creek, patrol reports said. The vehicle vaulted 10 feet across the creek and into a tree. The Camry then continued to cross the creek, striking a small tree and careened another 88 feet, tearing up a fence along the way.

Lawton was taken out of the Camry and taken to CRMC for his injuries. Reports said he was treated and released. Upon his release, however, he was charged with DUI and not having insurance.

The final weekend accident involved two vehicles and occurred about 9:35 p.m. Sunday. Reports said a Ford Ranger being driven by Randy Thomas Foster, 49, was turning left onto Park Avenue from Veterans Parkway and pulled out in front of a Ford F-150 driven by Barton Herndon, 20.

Foster's vehicle was struck in the passenger side and spun around, ejecting him from it, police reports said. He was taken to CRMC, where he was treated for his injuries and released. Herndon was not hurt, reports stated.

Upon his release from CRMC, reports said Foster was charged with DUI and failure to yield at an intersection while turning left.

React to this story:


Recommended for you