MOULTRIE — The City of Moultrie has been given the approval to begin improvements to four damaged drainage structures located in Southwest Moultrie. The structures are located in the southwest tributary to the Ochlocknee River.

Partial funding has been made available to the city by the Federal Emergency Management Agency through the Georgia Emergency Management Agency after President Barack Obama declared on April 23, 2009, that a major disaster exists in the State of Georgia. This was due to severe weather events that included severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, straight-line winds, and flash flooding, which began on March 26, 2009, and continued several days. The Public Assistance was requested by Governor Sonny Perdue and made available to State and eligible local governments on a cost-sharing basis for repair or replacement of facilities damaged during the storm event.

Two of the damaged structures to be improved are funded through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA), and are located in the 600 block of Ninth Street Southwest and the 1300 block of 10th Street Southwest. FEMA/GEMA will fund about 75 percent of the total cost of the improvements with the city funding the remaining 25 percent. The estimated cost of both structures and appurtenances is $351,000.

The other two drainage structures to be improved are funded through a State Aid Grant by the Georgia Department of Transportation and are located in the 1200 block of Sixth Street Southwest and the 1100 block of 13th Avenue Southwest. The DOT will fund 40 percent of the total cost of the improvements with the city funding the remaining 60 percent. The estimated cost of these two structures and appurtenances is $390,000.

The city's expenditures for its share of all four drainage structures will come from the SPLOST fund.

Engineering design, construction drawings, and specifications have recently been completed and the city was given the notice to proceed on the four drainage structures by the agencies involved. The project will involve the construction of double and triple barrel concrete box culverts. It is estimated that construction will begin in early May of this year and the projects will take approximately six months to complete.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0