MOULTRIE — An investigation by the Department of Family and Children Services shows that neither the Colquitt County School System nor any of its employees is at fault in an incident reported at a local school building, Schools Superintendent Leonard McCoy said Thursday.

The Observer received several telephone calls Thursday from members of the public who heard rumors that a school employee had sexually assaulted a girl last week.

However, the Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office said that the alleged incident involved two children, who were both 5 or 6 years old and that no school employee was involved.

“A (Family and Children Services) investigator told us ‘it did not happen on the school’s watch,’” McCoy said. “And I’m telling you it never involved any allegations against a school employee. It didn’t happen during the school day.”

McCoy said that some non-school functions are held at school facilities. He referred all other questions to Family and Children Services.

Regina Dismuke of the Colquitt County DFCS office returned a phone call from The Observer Thursday evening but referred the newspaper to the agency’s communications office, which was closed for the day.

Sheriff’s investigator Hal Suber said that the sheriff’s office was notified, but that he is waiting for Family and Children Services to complete its investigation. Because of the ages of the children he does not expect charges will be filed.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you