MOULTRIE, Ga. — A young man, not old enough to legally drink, was charged with driving under the influence Sunday after crashing into a parked ambulance.
In testing afterwards, Ulises Garcia, 19, 1507 Crestwood Lane, registered more than twice the legal limit to drive an automobile. He was charged with DUI (under age 21).
Police were in the 2400 block of Fifth Avenue Southeast about 2 a.m. Sunday investigating the death of Joseph Plumbo, 59. Colquitt County Coroner Verlyn Brock said on Tuesday that Plumbo’s body has been sent for an autopsy, but he apparently had medical issues.
The officers heard a loud bang outside and they went to see what it was.
A 2015 Honda CR-V had struck the ambulance head-on, police said, and the driver was crying.
An officer asked the driver — later identified as Garcia — whether he was OK, and he said he just wanted to get home; he had a lot of things going on.
When asked, Garcia said his license was in the car, but he looked for it and couldn’t find it, police said.
“His eyes were bloodshot and hazier,” the officer’s report said. “His breath smelled of alcohol odor.”
Police said Garcia acknowledged drinking at a local bar before the accident, and when he got out of the vehicle he was “very unbalanced.” The officer’s field sensor detected alcohol on his breath.
When Garcia arrived at the jail, he was tested on the breathalyzer there and registered 0.170 grams — 0.08 grams is the limit to legally drive.
In other arrests
• Lloyd Allen, 17, 1200 10th St. S.W., along with Dontaysha Wilson, 18, and Orion Wilson, 20, both of 292 Ruth St., were charged June 22 with disorderly conduct. A 16-year-old boy was also charged as a juvenile in the incident, which took place in the 500 block of Ninth Street Southwest.
• Ashley Nichole Lamb, 37, 1711 Seventh St. S.E., was charged June 22 with seatbelt violation and driving while license withdrawn.
• Colin Anthony Terrell Sr., 46, 749 Circle Road, was charged June 23 with driving while license withdrawn, improper tag display, possession of a drug-related object, misdemeanor possession of marijuana and possession of methamphetamine. Coy James Sweat, 59, 1910 West Blvd., was charged in the same incident with possession of methamphetamine.
Moultrie police said Terrell was driving a pickup truck pulling a trailer that lacked a tag. During the traffic stop on First Avenue at Fifth Street Southeast, a glass pipe with a crystal-like residue and a small, clear baggie with a crystal-like substance were found, police said.
• Kimberly Leona Yon, 40, 801 Eighth Ave. S.E., was charged June 22 with possession of methamphetamine and probation violation.
• Alvardo Largo Salazar, 24, 317 Star Circle, Norman Park, was charged June 21 with cruelty to children. Carmen Largo, 31, of the same address, was charged with cruelty to children in the second degree.
• Simon Francesco, 44, of Albany, was charged June 23 with failure to drive in a single lane and DUI.
• Agapito Silverio-Villanvera, 53, 657 Circle Road, was charged June 23 with driving without a license, pedestrian under the influence and failure to drive in a single lane.
• Gerardo Botello, 29, 1080 R.L. Norman Road, Norman Park, was charged June 22 with driving while license withdrawn.
• Rose Mary Corona, 37, 170 Dogwood Drive, was charged June 23 with driving without a license, a seatbelt violation and probation violation.
• Valentin Perez-Gonzalez, 29, 2775 Ellenton-Norman Park Road, Norman Park, was charged June 22 with driving while tag suspended and driving without a license.
• Calvin Ray Simpson Jr., 31, 133 Denham Road, Norman Park, was charged June 24 with criminal trespass (family violence). Simpson and his wife are going through a divorce, and he’s been ordered not to be at the Denham Road residence, the deputy’s report said. On Monday he went to the residence but was denied entry and allegedly broke a window trying to get in.
• Brian Charles Fambro, 41, 710 E. Union Drive, Doerun, was charged June 24 with forgery in the fourth degree.
• Tisean Tatyanna Edwards, 22, of Albany, was charged June 25 with failure to drive in a single lane, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana and DUI.
• Lisa Marie Blinn, 35, 812 Doc Darbyshire Road, Lot 22, was charged June 23 with simple battery. Cory Michael Blinn, 33, of the same address, was charged with simple assault.
• Jimmy Ferol Mims II, 38, 212 W. Union Circle, Doerun, was charged June 21 with driving while tag suspended and no insurance.
• Lavonda Williams, 22, of Albany.
• Andy Vaughn, 35, 226 Foxthick Road.
• Bryan Steven Keith, 33, 202 Motley Road.
• Jody Lynn Van Houten, 51, 15071 Tallokas Road, two counts.
• Marlana Nicole Pellerin, 31, 1415 Fifth St. S.W., Norman Park.
• James D. Gay, 40, 708 Edmondson Road.