MOULTRIE — A 73-year-old woman who had suffered serious burns and breathed in smoke and ash during a house fire Feb. 19 died Thursday afternoon.

Bonnie Rigsby, 73, of 215 Black Acres Road, died while being treated for her injuries at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga. Rigsby’s son-in-law, David Swallow, said she died from complications related to breathing in smoke and ash during the fire.

Lynn Brown, Rigsby’s daughter, said she was with Rigsby when she died between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. Thursday. This has been a very hard time for her and her family, but she wanted to express her gratitude to the burn center and its nurses who cared for Rigsby.

Brown said she also was very grateful to C.A. Gray Middle School, where she works as a special education teacher, and to the community for their support. Swallow said he was thankful for all the compassion and support everyone has shown to the family.

Rigsby suffered second-degree burns to her arms, face, and back and had lung problems from breathing is ash and smoke during the fire that destroyed her house.

The house fire was first discovered about 5:30 a.m. Sunday when Brown was awakened by the crackling sound of fire and the smell of smoke, firefighters said at the time. She woke her 14-year-old son, George, and Rigsby to get them out of the burning house and to safety.

Rigsby, however, fought with Lynn and George Brown to get several items from inside, and Lynn Brown said George was able to pull Rigsby from her bedroom to the back door steps. Because of a broken ankle Rigsby was recovering from and George being overcome by smoke, Lynn Brown got her neighbors, Melvin and Mark Tucker, to help pull Rigsby to safety.

The fire was ruled accidental by an investigation, and it was believed the fire may have been started when a candle had been reignited during the night.

Swallow said funeral arrangements for Rigsby were to be made Friday with Parker-Bramlett Funeral Home in Camilla. Those arrangements are expected to be announced in Sunday’s edition of The Observer.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0