MOULTRIE -- Colquitt County High School students were routed into the gymnasium Friday morning as Moultrie firefighters and school maintenance staff investigated a small electrical fire in the media center.

The media center, located in the oldest part of the building, suffered minor damage stemming from an electrical surge, Moultrie Fire Department Chief Ken Hannon said. The library was filled with smoke. Some electrical lines and outlets melted next to computers, ruining a couple of them, school officials said.

The breaker to the line tripped as it should and prevented the line from burning further, Hannon said.

"For what potential we had, everything worked well, and there was minimal damage," he said.

A portion of the library's fire retardant carpet melted, but -- as designed -- did not catch fire.

"Thank heaven for fire retardant carpet," CCHS Principal Melton Callahan said.

"The staff and kids did a great job and responded well," Callahan said. "Everybody stepped up to the plate and really did a nice job. We're really pleased with the way things were handled. The bus drivers cooperated -- it was just an overall cooperative effort to (smooth) a really difficult situation."

Seniors attended an already-scheduled program at 8:30 a.m. in the auditorium, so the fire was no imposition to them.

School is closed next week for spring break, so work crews will be able to address cleanup and repair without displacing students further.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Trending Video

Recommended for you