MOULTRIE — Moultrie firefighters were called twice in less than 10 hours to an Eighth Avenue home where a wiring problem began to ignite insulation in the attic.

The Moultrie Fire Department’s report said firefighters were called to the scene of a fire at 804 Eighth Ave. S.E. at 3:50 p.m. Monday. Firefighters found a piece of insulation inside the house’s attic smoldering, and removed it from the attic and had the fire under control at 4 p.m.

A witness told firefighters he was checking a wire that shorted out at the house, and reports said insulation in the attic started to smolder. There was damage to the wiring and insulation in the attic but no structural damage to the house.

The Colquitt County Red Cross came to the scene and help to arrange housing for the resident, Adrienne Wingfield, following the fire, reports said. Firefighters also installed three smoke detectors inside the house before leaving the scene.

Reports said firefighters were called back to the house at 12:09 a.m. Tuesday after the fire inside the attic was rekindled. The firefighters had to cut vent holes to help extinguish the fire and knock down a wall, but the fire was under control by 1:51 a.m.

The fire damaged the rafters, joist and more insulation in the house, but reports said Wingfield had been placed in a motel by the Red Cross and was not at the scene. Firefighters also spread a salvage cover over the living room in an effort to protect items Wingfield had in the room.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you