MOULTRIE -- The First Baptist Royals captured their second GRPA Unlimited Homerun State Championship in three years this past weekend at Freedom Park in Valdosta.
The Royals opened the two-day tournament Friday, Aug. 2, with a 21-19 win against the District 4 team from Griffin. In a second Friday night game, they downed Trinity Church from Newton, 13-1 in five innings.
On Saturday morning, the Royals came out cold against the First Baptist team from Winder but battled back to win in the bottom of the seventh, 11-10.
In the winners bracket finals they faced New Hope from Watkinsville and disposed of them 25-10 in four innings to reach the championship game.
In the championship game, they again faced New Hope -- with similar results: an 18-5 win in five innings to complete a perfect run to the state championship.
Members of the 2002 GRPA Unlimited Homerun State Championship First Baptist Royals are Michael Chancy, Scott Price, Tony Hamm, Todd Moser, Kyle Conger, Jody Parker, Tanner Jenkins, Chris Parker, Tim White, Frank Sircy, Andy Hardin, James Horne, Duane Massey, Jacob Hammock and Paul Callahan.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
MOULTRIE, GA.- Lamar Otis Knight, 61, of Moultrie passed away on Thursday, July 29, 2021. Funeral services will be held 4:00 PM Tuesday, August 3, 2021, at Cobb Funeral Chapel. Interment will be in Greenfield Cemetery. Born March 16, 1960, in Moultrie, he was the son of the late George Otis …
- Business owner, brother face drug charges
- Crime reports for July 26, 2021
- Sparks child dies in ATV accident
- Hospital chief warns COVID will get worse, urges vaccinations
- Suspect charged after standoff in Doerun
- Crime reports for July 28, 2021
- Crime Reports for July 23, 2021
- Crime reports for July 29, 2021
- Colquitt County experiencing dangerous heat
- Plan to replace Hwy. 37 bridge moves forward