MOULTRIE, Ga. — A Moultrie man shot by police during a standoff in which he’s accused of shooting at officers was one of several people recently indicted on charges of violence.
The Colquitt County Grand Jury handed down an indictment with 23 counts against Bernard Lynn Patterson in September.
Moultrie police responded July 3 to Patterson’s West Boulevard residence, where a caller claimed Patterson was threatening his father with a knife, according to police and GBI reports at the time. The first officer on scene was able to get Patterson’s father to a safe place when Patterson went into the house.
The indictment claims that on the same day, Patterson also held a knife to the throat of another man and threatened to kill him.
After other officers arrived, Patterson came onto the porch with a deer rifle, the GBI said. Officials said he pointed the weapon at officers multiple times, and at least once he told officers to shoot him.
The standoff lasted a few hours, then Patterson crouched, pointed the deer rifle in officers’ direction and fired at least one shot, the GBI said. Five officers returned fire; several missed because they were firing their handguns at extreme range, but Patterson was hit at least once and went down.
He was airlifted to a hospital in Tallahassee, Fla., and when he had healed enough to be released, he was taken into custody.
Patterson was indicted on charges of aggravated assault (family violence), aggravated assault, eight counts of aggravated assault on a peace officer, two counts of possession of a knife during commission of a felony, eight counts of possession of a firearm during commission of a felony, possession of methamphetamine, possession of amphetamine, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
Other defendants indicted in cases of violence include:
• Deion Bradley and Joan Ashley Kringle, cruelty to children in the first degree and cruelty to children in the second degree.
• Robert Jolly, aggravated assault (family violence) and battery (family violence).
• Geoffrey Demond Lewis, terroristic threats, aggravated assault and possession of marijuana (less than 1 ounce).
• Keith Thomas Lawhorn, simple battery (family violence), driving while license suspended (3 counts), aggravated stalking, attempted aggravated stalking and threatening of witness in a proceeding.
• Timothy Edmonds Jr. aka Timmy Edmonds, aggravated assault (family violence), aggravated assault, aggravated battery (family violence), aggravated battery and possession of a firearm during commission of a crime (2 counts).
• Donnie Andrew Bryant, false imprisonment, battery (family violence) and cruelty to children in the third degree (2 counts).
• Rashard Levon Revels, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during commission of a felony and terroristic threats.
• Teegra Owens, cruelty to children in the first degree.
• Mary Lee Starnes, burglary in the first degree (2 counts), aggravated assault (family violence) and possession of a knife during commission of a felony.
• Austin Gene Fender, false imprisonment, battery (family violence), obstruction of an officer and aggravated stalking.