A pan of grease on a stove ignited a Friday fire at a Southeast Moultrie residence.

Moultrie Fire Department personnel were dispatched at about 4:20 p.m. to the 1108 Third St. S.E., residence of Shantarus McIntyre.

When firefighters arrived a neighbor had extinguished the blaze with a blanket and residents of the dwelling were outside. The fire started while the resident’s daughter was warming grease on the stove prior to cooking.

The home, owned by Jose Rodriguez of Moutlrie, had heavy fire damage to the stove top, vent hood, cabinets and kitchen ceiling. There also was smoke damage in the dining and living rooms as well as heat damage to exterior vinyl in the area where the stove caught on fire.

There was a smoke detector in the residence but it was not working because there were no batteries in it, fire department reports said.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you