MOULTRIE — A Tifton man accused of twice kidnapping the same woman and striking her with a car during the second abduction faces a charge of trying to influence her testimony.
A Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office spokesman said that Gage Allen Turner tried to influence 31-year-old Brenda Yancy to help him get out of his legal troubles. Bond was set for Turner following a Jan. 11 incident in which Yancy reported he beat her and put a knife to her throat but he has not left Colquitt County Jail.
Yancy, who was five months pregnant at the time, told police that she was struck by her kidnapper’s car after she got out on J.D. Herndon Road after being abducted from her residence in the 2300 block of Highway 33 South.
“He’s made attempts to speak to the victim in the case in hopes her story will change as to the details of what happened,” sheriff’s Inv. Shawn Bostick said.
Inmates’ phone calls are recorded, which allowed the investigator in the case to determine that Turner had contacted Yancy, Bostick said.
Police stopped Turner’s 1992 Honda Civic in Norman Park after the reported Jan. 11 attack. Turner, 24, 807 40th St. S.E., Tifton, was charged Sunday with influencing a witness.
On the night of his arrest he was charged with aggravated assault, kidnapping, false imprisonment, battery and violation of family violence order.
The sheriff’s office said that Yancy suffered injuries to the face, neck, legs and elbow that was struck by the car.
Turner has an active Moultrie Police Department case in which he is accused of kidnapping Yancy in December 2013.
In other arrests:
• A 14-year-old Funston boy was charged Sunday with battery (family violence) and cruelty to children.
He was arrested after Selena Gomez, 100 block Academy Street, Funston, reported that a male companion’s relative grabbed her right arm, causing bruising and swelling.She told police that the violence occurred after she had told the teen to stop playing roughly with her 6-year-old son.
The teenager was turned over to his father.
• Lee Otis Wilson, 43, 616 Seventh St. S.W., was charged Saturday with battery.
• Justin Mitchell Mercer, 31, 233 Pine Trail Drive, was charged Saturday with simple battery.
• Melanie Jade Wiley, 30, 404 Seventh Avenue Southwest Apt. E-10, was charged Wednesday with possession of methamphetamine and probation violation.
• Dustin Blake Kastelic, 25, 1265 Doc Darbyshire Road, was charged Monday with no insurance and driving while license withdrawn.
Norman Park Police
• Anthony Maurice Fields, 32, 267 Cherry St., Norman Park, was charged Saturday with simple battery.
• Nathan Roger Brinson, 44, 408G 31st Ave. S.E.
• Jasmine Reid, 200 block Selina Road, reported Sunday that when she investigated a loud sound of an object striking her screen door she found the top glass portion had been shattered.