A Moultrie man was apprehended Friday morning after he allegedly tried to steal metal from a building he incorrectly thought was abandoned.
Terrence Grant, 21, of 1330 Highway 319 N. in Norman Park, was charged with theft by taking.
A Moultrie police officer was called to a building on North Main Street about 8:20 a.m. Friday about a man stealing metal. The officer met with Kem Lacey, who stated he was driving by the metal building when he saw someone loading metal parts into the back of an SUV.
When Lacey went up to the building, he told the man, identified as Grant, that he was stealing. Grant stated he thought the building had been abandoned, and he was picking up the old metal around it.
The officer told Grant that he was stealing from the building, and he was placed under arrest and taken to Colquitt County Jail. The metal that had been loaded, valued at an estimated $50, was returned to Lacey, and the SUV was towed from the scene.
• Celina Barber reported a thief broke out a window at a late relative’s house on Third Street Southwest and stole a Dell computer and two computer monitors between March 2 and 11:39 a.m. Wednesday. The value of the stolen items was about $2,000.
• Chazna Thomas, of 27th Street Southeast, reported someone cut all four of the tires on her Honda Accord between midnight and 10:08 a.m. Friday. Thomas gave officers the name of a male suspect.
• An employee at Enmark on First Avenue Southeast reported a thief pumped $40 in gasoline Friday and left without paying for it. The vehicle used was a Ford Dually truck, and officers were given its tag number.
• Michael Lupo reported a thief stole his Samsung cell phone near the U.S. Post Office on North Main Street Friday.
• An employee at Circle N Petro on Camilla Highway reported a thief broke out a window and stole $50 cash, electronics and other items between 11 p.m. Saturday and 3:49 a.m. Sunday. The value of the stolen items was about $150.
• Julio Liriano reported a thief broke out the driver’s side window of his Freightliner truck while it was parked at Valverde Express Lane on the West Bypass and stole a tool box with tools between 8 p.m. Saturday and 8:30 a.m. Sunday. Damage and the value of the stolen toolbox was estimated at $380.
• An employee at Murphy’s Express on South Veterans Parkway reported a known male customer pumped $46.38 in gasoline Saturday and left without paying for it.
• Thomas Lamb, of Doc Darbyshire Road, reported someone shot his bulldog in the rear with a shotgun between 4:30 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. Friday.
• Joseph Johnson, of Yogi Bear Road in Norman Park, reported someone shot him above the belt line with a pellet gun Sunday.
• Caroll Craven reported a thief stole 410 pieces of wood from his shop on Industrial Drive between 6 p.m. Friday and 8:30 a.m. Saturday. The value of the stolen wood was $400.
• Jack Buie, of Foye Street in Funston, reported someone poured sugar into the gas tank and dented the rear door of his Ford Expedition between 7 p.m. Saturday and 11:30 a.m. Sunday.
• Bryce Hall reported a thief stole a Kawasaki dirt bike and a second dirt bike from a garage on Tallokas Road Friday. The value of the stolen dirt bikes was $2,200.