MOULTRIE — A Norman Park man involved in a domestic dispute that police initially thought involved the kidnapping of his infant son and the boy’s mother has been charged with two misdemeanor counts.

Daniel Bauer was arrested in Miller County on Thursday evening after a Georgia State Patrol trooper noticed his Nissan Sentra at a convenience store where he had stopped, police said. The criminal charges are not related to initial reports that Bauer, 19, had abducted his girlfriend and their son.

Earlier in the day, Rhavin Cody, 21, had stopped at Pruitt Health Moultrie on Sunset Circle to pick up her paycheck, police said. She pulled a co-worker to the side and instructed her to call her mother “and tell her (that) her boyfriend would not let her leave without her baby,” Moultrie  Police Department Maj. Tonero Bender said.

When the couple left the co-worker called police, who began searching frantically for the car and occupants and eventually sent out a statewide Amber Alert asking the public to be on the lookout for them.

“It came to us as a kidnapping/abduction,” Moultrie police Sgt. Justin Lindsay said. “From the preliminary investigation, it did look like that. Then leads kept coming in.”

Cody spoke with her mother during the ride, Lindsay said, and so did Bauer. From Bauer’s reported tone and manner during the calls police got the impression that they were dealing with an abduction.

“We had reason to believe the child and mother were in immediate danger,” Lindsay said.

Moultrie police requested assistance from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the GSP, which eventually located the car in the city of Colquitt. At that time Lindsay said, he spoke with Cody on the phone and she told him that they were going to the beach and that she and the baby had not been abducted.

Bauer, of Big Bear Boulevard, was charged in connection with a domestic dispute in Moultrie that occurred at Cody’s apartment in which he is accused of causing damage at the apartment complex.

Police charged him with criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.

The case remains under investigation, Lindsay said.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you