MOULTRIE — Four people were saved from a fire early Thursday morning when a smoke detector awoke a 9-year-old boy.

Moultrie Fire Department reports said firefighters were called to the residence at 426 First Ave. N.W. at 1:02 a.m. Thursday. The occupant, Patricia Griffin, 53, told firefighters she was boiling chicken on her stove but had forgotten about it.

Griffin went back to sleep and left the chicken boiling on the stove, and reports said the smoke detector went off. Griffin’s 9-year-old grandson, Taif Smith, was awaked by the detector and awoke Griffin, Latoya Griffin, 27, and Tashajani Davis, 3.

The only damage caused was damage to the pot used to boil the chicken, reports said. There was fire damage noted to the stove eye and vent hood, but Patricia Griffin told firefighters the damage was from a previous fire.

Moultrie Fire Department Fire Marshall Lavon Cooper said the smoke detector at the residence was installed by the Moultrie Fire Department. This is the first save by a smoke detector installed by the department this year and the eighth save since starting the installation program in 2003.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you