MOULTRIE -- It was a wild weekend of car chases in which two Moultrie men were apprehended after they led lawmen on two separate high speed pursuits. Dozens of charges have been filed, including robbery and domestic violence in one of the cases.

Although the chases involved numerous city streets and county roadways with the vehicles charging into intersections, there were no injuries except minor injuries to one of the persons charged.

Larry Joe Carroll, 39, of 985 Circle Road, was charged Friday with two counts of probation violation, driving too fast for conditions, failure to stop for a stop sign, failure to use a signal while making a turn and attempting to elude officers.

Police reports said an investigator with the Colquitt County Sheriff's Office informed dispatch he would need a marked patrol car to make a traffic stop around 1 p.m. Friday. The traffic stop was to have taken place in the vicinity of Highway 319 North and Veterans Parkway for Carroll, who had outstanding warrants.

The investigator notified dispatch again of a Ford pickup truck, driven by Carroll, on Woodmen Road going toward Georgia Highway 133 North, reports said. The truck crossed over Highway 133 North and continued onto Anderson Road.

A deputy attempted to make a traffic stop of the truck on Anderson Road near Highway 319 North, but reports said the truck sped away from the deputy. The truck ran a stop sign at the intersection of Anderson Road and Highway 319 North.

Investigative reports said the deputy turned on his vehicle's siren and pursued the truck as it drove north on Highway 319 North. The pursuit crossed over Veterans Parkway and into congested traffic.

The truck made a left hand turn onto Shady Grove Road, and the reports said Carroll ran a stop sign making a left hand turn onto Woodmen Road, almost causing an accident with another vehicle. The chase continued down Woodmen Road until the truck made a left hand turn onto Belleville Drive.

Carroll was unable to maintain control of the truck as he made the turn onto Belleville Drive and drove into a ditch, the investigative reports said. The deputy exited his patrol vehicle, pulled out his weapon and ordered Carroll to exit the truck.

Reports said Carroll exited on the passenger side, and was placed onto the ground and handcuffed. Carroll had visible cuts on his head from the accident, so he was taken to Colquitt Regional Medical Center for treatment.

Carroll was released from Colquitt Regional and taken to the Colquitt County Jail. The truck was towed to the Colquitt County Sheriff's Department for further investigation.

A second Moultrie man led Colquitt County sheriff's deputies on a high speed chase early Sunday morning. The same man had other charges against him from alleged incidents that took place Saturday.

Michael Wade Tyson, 35, of 1717 South Blvd., was charged with robbery, assault with a motor vehicle (family violence), two counts of attempting to elude police, 14 counts of running a stop sign and 18 counts of speeding.

Investigative reports said the first incident took place at 2:35 p.m. Saturday when Tyson allegedly stole a purse, owned by Patricia Hunt of Foxthick Road, with approximately $100 inside. Hunt called Tyson's wife and told her that Tyson had stolen the purse.

The wife asked Tyson if he knew anything about the purse, and the investigative reports said he told his wife that he did not know anything about it. Tyson's daughter later told police that Tyson did have a pocketbook as he took her into northwest Moultrie.

Allegedly, Tyson met a black man there, and police reports said the two men exchanged unknown items with each other. Tyson then picked his wife up from work, and the two got into a verbal argument when they arrived at a home on Cedar Street.

The reports said Tyson got into his Ford Tempo and attempted to leave the residence, but his wife tried to get the car keys from him. Tyson then put the vehicle in gear and allegedly dragged his wife alongside the vehicle. He left the scene after his wife was able to get free of the vehicle.

After the incident at the Cedar Street residence, reports said Tyson went to Sonny's Meats on 10th Street Southeast at 5:20 p.m. Saturday and bought a drink. When the cashier opened the store's register, Tyson allegedly reached into the drawer and stole an unknown amount of cash.

The description given by the clerk of Tyson and the Ford Tempo matched the description given from the earlier incidents, police reports said.

At 1:06 a.m. Sunday, reports said a Moultrie Police officer spotted Tyson's Ford Tempo on Old Adel Road and began pursuing it. A Colquitt County sheriff's deputy took over the pursuit as the chase went onto Mary Hiers Road. The pursuit continued down Mary Hiers Road and onto Roberts Road as Tyson ran the stop sign at the intersection.

The pursuit continued down Roberts Road and onto Cannon Road. Investigative reports said Tyson continued to run stop signs at intersections. Tyson made a right turn from Cannon Road onto Highway 37 East and then left onto Ira Hall Road, the reports said.

The chase continued as Tyson made a right turn onto Alton Road and then a left turn onto Ellenton-Omega Road. From Ellenton-Omega Road, Tyson made a right turn onto Roundtree Bridge Road and then a right onto Ben Baker Road and another right onto Bill Tillman Road.

The vehicles continued to maneuver around as Tyson made a right turn onto Buck Creek Road, then a left back onto Cannon Road, then a right turn onto Chitty Road, reports said. Tyson turned right onto Old Adel Road and then a left turn onto Allman Road.

As one of the deputies was pursuing Tyson, reports said the deputy got stuck in a resident's front yard. A second deputy took over the pursuit for the county.

Tyson continued to drive down Allman Road and ran a stop sign making a left onto Old Adel Road, reports said. He then turned left onto Cabbage Road then onto Skipper Road. He continued down Skipper Road and ran another stop sign turning right onto Sardis Church Road.

Tyson turned right onto Cedar Street from Sardis Church Road, and reports said the chase ended when he pulled into a driveway on Cedar Street. Tyson exited the vehicle and ran on foot into the residence's back yard, the reports said.

A Moultrie police officer ordered Tyson to stop or he would be shot with the officer's Tazer. Tyson allegedly picked up some Christmas decorations and attempted to throw them at the officer.

Police reports said the officer fired his Tazer at Tyson, and he was apprehended following the Tazer shot. He was taken to Colquitt County Jail and booked on the charges from all the incidents since Saturday afternoon and the chase.

During the pursuit, reports said Tyson reached speeds up to 100 mph and was never below 55 mph. He also ran stop signs at each intersection during the chase as well as the multiple speeding charges.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you