MOULTRIE — A Moultrie woman suffered minor injuries as she fought a fire in her closet Thursday afternoon.

Nada Yared, 37, had minor burns to her hands as she used a fire extinguisher to extinguish a small fire at her house at 4 Quail Run. She was treated at the scene by Colquitt County emergency medical technicians and declined to be taken to Colquitt Regional Medical Center.

The Moultrie Fire Department was called to the house fire at 4:28 p.m. Thursday. When firefighters arrived, they saw only light smoke coming from inside and went to investigate.

The firefighters found clothes smoldering in a rear bedroom closet, and they took all of the clothes outside. They also found Yared with the burns to her hands and called for EMTs to come to the scene.

During an investigation, fire officials found a stand-up lamp in the closet with a burned area around one of the lights, believed to be where the fire started. There was minor fire damage and moderate smoke damage to the closet, moderate smoke damage to the bedroom and minor smoke damage to the rear of the house. Several items of clothing that were in the closet were also damaged, and a firefighter caused minor damage when he accidentally stepped through the ceiling while examining the attic for fire.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0