BAY -- An elderly Bay woman appears to have escaped injury after her house exploded Tuesday night.
About 10 p.m. at 5304 Ga. Hwy. 37 W., Pauline Arnett had already gone to bed, when the other side of her house exploded, Bay Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chuck Scarborough said.
"I think the good Lord had his hands over her myself," Scarborough, also a pastor, said.
Just before the explosion, the chief and other volunteers happened to be coming out of the fire station near Arnett's house. Firefighters saw a large fireball over the house, reports said.
The volunteers rushed to the house and got Arnett to safety before extinguishing a small fire in a closet, he said. The crew used only about 20 gallons at the scene, Scarborough said.
Arnett's bedroom is in another part of the two-gable house. The eastern gable was demolished, Scarborough said.
The cause appears to have been a gas leak but the source of ignition is yet undetermined, the chief said.
Arnett was examined at the hospital and is staying with family, he said.
This Week's Circulars
GRIFFIN [mdash] Mrs. Viola (Vi) Mercer Hewett, age 84 formerly of Griffin, passed away suddenly on Tuesday, April 13, 2021. She was born November 7, 1936 in Moultrie, Georgia, a daughter to the late Charles and Liza Mae Mercer. Viola served in the US Army Company C, Second Platoon, Section A…
MOULTRIE, GA.- Amarylis Blender Abercrombie Jordan, 76, of Moultrie, passed away Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at her home. Cobb Funeral Chapel has been entrusted with arrangements. Please sign the online guestbook at www.cobbfuneralchapel.com.
MOULTRIE [mdash] Union Morris, 66, of Moultrie, died Friday, April 9, 2021 at Colquitt Regional Medical Center. Arrangements have been entrusted to Baker Funeral Home.
- UPDATE: Woman identified in fatal Brooks wreck
- Driver returns stolen vehicle, is arrested anyway
- Wanted man almost slips away — three times
- Rush Propst saga plagues storied Valdosta Wildcat football program
- Crime reports for April 14, 2021
- Army leads Packers in team-building exercise
- Female investigator continues family law enforcement tradition
- Crime reports for April 16, 2021
- Crime reports for April 13, 2021
- Crime reports for April 15, 2021