A Colquitt County man faces drug and weapons charges after a search of his car Sunday by a state trooper who believed he was under the influence of an illegal substance.
The search turned up suspected marijuana in multiple bags, a pistol and shotgun, scales and plastic bags, a Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office spokesman said Monday.
Logan Keadle Gurley, 22, 483 Lee Lewis Road, was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, two counts possession of a firearm or knife while trying to commit crimes, driving under the influence and window tint violation.
Sheriff’s Inv. David Corona said that the Georgia State Patrol trooper encountered Gurley at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday at the intersection of Lower Meigs and Fred Webb Roads. Corona secured the suspected marijuana, guns and other evidence at the scene.
“The trooper said when he made contact (with Gurley) he could smell the odor of marijuana in the vehicle,” Corona said. “He suspected he was under the influence of drugs.”
The substance field tested for marijuana, Corona said. He was not sure about the total weight of the suspected marijuana, but said it was in several plastic bags as if prepared for sale. The digital scales and plastic bag also indicate intent to sell the drug, he said.
In a separate case, the state patrol arrested Denarrious M. Thornton, 22, 120 Fifth St. S.W., on Friday on charges of driving under the influence, possession of marijuana and safety belt violation.
In other arrests
• David Rendell Cass, 47, 114 Cotton Field Lane, was charged Friday with disorderly conduct and reckless driving.
• Virgie Arnold Jr., 53, 1509 11th St. S.W., was charged Saturday with driving with suspended license and failure to stop at stop sign.
• Ana Martin, 28, 2887 Harrison Road, Dothan, Ala., was charged Saturday with no license and tag light violation.
• Walter Neloms, 56, 115 Wilkes St., Berlin, was charged Saturday with driving under the influence, failure to maintain lane and open container violation.
• Tekoy Iberiel Hutto, 21, 519 Seventh St. S.E., was charged Saturday with no driver’s license.
• James Lewis Hill, 64, 413 Seventh Ave. N.W., was charged Saturday with open container violation. Julia Shy, 62, of the same address, was charged with public drunk.
• Carl Leon Huntley, 37, 940 10th Ave. N.W., Cairo, was charged Saturday with theft by shoplifting.
He is accused of pushing a shopping cart loaded with a television he did not pay for out of Wal-Mart, 641 Veterans Parkway S.
The Hisense television was valued at $239.
• Alfredo Santoyo-Amezquite, 46, 1330 U.S. Hwy. 319 Lot 36, Norman Park, was charged Saturday with driving with suspended license.
• Demetrius Antonio Roney, 46, 1330 U.S. Hwy. 319, Norman Park, was charged Monday with burglary and entering automobile.
• Alberto Carranza, 21, 334 Indian Creek Subdivision Road, was charged Sunday with driving under the influence and failure to maintain lane.
• Crystal Tawana Hayes, 36, 17 Seventh Ave. N.W., was charged Sunday with deposit account fraud.
• Karen Sutton, 38, and Timothy Jermaine Sutton, 34, both of 517 Eighth St. S.W., were each charged Sunday in connection with a reported domestic dispute.
Timothy Sutton was charged with battery and Karen Sutton with simple battery.
She told police that her husband choked and threatened to kill her during the incident.
• Eric Lamar James, 28, 505 Coventry Circle, and Elisa James, 22, 711 Sixth St. N.W., were each charged Sunday in connection with a domestic disturbance at Elisa James’ residence.
She was charged with battery and Eric James was charged with simple battery.
He told police that his wife hit him in the mouth with a bottle during an argument after she returned from a club for her birthday. After she hit him he grabbed her and hit her a couple of times.
Elisa James told police that she did not know what happened and did not remember striking her husband.
Eric James was treated by emergency medical personnel, police said.
• Tiffany Marie Knight, 28, 132 Halls Trail Road, was charged Sunday with suspended license, no license on person and tail lights violation.
• Benjamin Travis Randall, 35, 1304 Sixth Ave. S.W., was charged Sunday with no insurance, driving with suspended license and driving with suspended tag.
• Manuel Ortiz, 31, 176 Ewer Road Lot 12, was charged Sunday with driving under the influence, failure to maintain lane and no driver’s license.
• Jasmine Marie Mosher, 21, 114 WMTM Road, was charged Friday with failure to appear.
• Leroy Valdez, 34, 803 Third St. N.W., was charged Saturday with speeding and driving while license withdrawn.
• William Allen Kringle, 54, 1371 Roundtree Bridge Road, Norman Park, was charged Thursday with battery and cruelty to children.
• Freddie Lee Smithwick III, 45, 3760 Stage Coach Road, was charged Sunday with terroristic threats and acts.
• Rolando Calixto Ortiz, 26, 475 Theron Tillman Road, was charged Saturday with simple battery.