MOULTRIE -- Emma Simpson has returned to the U.S. from Sao Paulo, Brazil, where she finished second overall in the women's division in the World Cup.
The Colquitt County trapshooter finished behind only fellow U.S. National Team member Collyn Loper.
A member of the team from Spain finished third.
Simpson, the daughter of Mike and Gloria Simpson of Hartsfield, was not in town long, leaving Tuesday for San Antonio, Texas, to shoot in a benefit for the International Hunters Association.
She will compete in trap, skeet and sporting clays, shooting for the Mossy Oak team.
Upon returning to Colquitt County, Simpson will continue training for the USA Nationals, to be held July 8-10 in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Also representing Colquitt County at Nationals will be Jim Hancock, Jay Wingate, Abel Eubanks, Clark Burroughs and Kevin Tucker.
This competition will choose the team that will compete later this year in the CAT (Championship of the Americas) Games. The top three men, top three women and top two juniors will qualify to compete.
The CAT Games includes shooters from Canada, the U.S. and from Central America and South America countries.
Simpson won the gold medal in the junior women division in the 2001 CAT Games.
React to this story:
This Week's Circulars
BERLIN [mdash] Sherron Lynne Gregory Boyd, 43, of Berlin, died Thursday, July 15, 2021 at her home. Arrangements have been entrusted to Baker Funeral Home.
MOULTRIE [mdash] Lifardo Frometa, 86, of Moultrie, died Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at Colquitt Regional Medical Center. Arrangements entrusted to Baker Funeral Home
MOULTRIE, GA - Sandra Ann Smith Hutchinson,73, of Moultrie, passed away on July 19, 2021, at her residence. Cobb Funeral Chapel has been entrusted with the arrangements.
- Man shot in shoulder during argument with son
- Man still wanted after pursuit downtown
- Crime reports for July 19, 2021
- Crime Reports for July 22, 2021
- Crime Reports for July 21, 2021
- Crime Reports for July 23, 2021
- Woman, 2 children hurt in one-car crash
- Gang member and associates charged for attempting to bring contraband into jail
- Moultrie Cinemas prepares to show Carmichael's latest film
- Colquitt County wins inaugural Southeastern 7-on-7