MOULTRIE - Jamie Felix broke free for a 37-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter and, in the process, broke Tift County's hearts Friday night.
Tift, needing a win over Camden County to advance to the state Class 7A state tournament, had pulled to within three points of the Wildcats in the fourth quarter, but after Felix's run, fell 30-20.
Camden had gotten the ball at Tift's 44 with 4:15 to play in the game.
They picked up one first down before going backwards five yards for a false start.
Felix squirted through a hole on the right side of his line to the 37-yard score at 1:50.
Anthony Hunter intercepted a last-ditch Blue Devils effort to get back in the game. Camden knelt on the ball three times to end the game.
It was a tale of two halves Friday. The Wildcats zoomed out to a 20-0 lead over the first 24 minutes and any luck that Tift had during that frame was all bad. The first possession of the third quarter did not go their way, either, but then the tide suddenly turned.
Camden County will travel to play Region 3 runner-up Marietta in the first round of the playoffs.
Thomasville tops Early: The Thomasville Bulldogs will go into the Class AA state playoffs as Region 1-AA champs — and having finished the region schedule unblemished after a win at Early County in Friday night’s regular season finale.
The Bulldogs used a blocked punt and two field goals to take a commanding 17-point lead and coasted to a 20-10 win over the Bobcats, finishing at 6-4 for the regular season and 4-0 in the region.
Thomasville lost its first three games of the season, including a 45-3 defeat at the hands of Colquitt County in Moultrie.
But the Bulldogs have won six of their last seven since then.
As the No. 1 seed, the Bulldogs will face the No. 4 seed from Region 3, Dodge County.
Other Colquitt County opponents:
• Region 1-AAAAAAA champion Lowndes finished 10-0 and will play host to Hillgrove in the first round.
• Valdosta is the Region 1-AAAAAA runner-up and will play host to Lakeside-Evans in the first round.
• Warner Robins won the Region 1-AAAAA championship and will play host to Jonesboro.
• Grayson finished as the Region 8-AAAAAAA champions and will face Mountain View.
• North Gwinnett finished first in the Region 6 and will play host to Shiloh in the first round.
• Trinity Christian of Jacksonville, Fla., lost its first-round Florida High School Athletic Association Class AAA playoff game to Trinity Catholic of Ocala last Friday 23-21 to finish its season with a 5-6 record.
Becky Taylor of The Tifton Gazette contributed to this report.