Valdosta State catcher Zac Goodno’s two-out, ninth-inning single gave the Blazers a 2-1 win over West Florida on Saturday that completed a doubleheader sweep at Billy Grant Field.
The former Packer was 2-for-4 in the game.
The Blazers, now 9-3, will play Georgia Southwestern at home at 5 p.m. today.
Of this and that:
• Colquitt County junior outside linebackers Demetrius Walker and Jaquan Blakely have both been offered by the University of Kentucky.
Packers teammate Sihiem King has signed to play at Kentucky next season.
• Cole Pitts made his 2015 debut for the Georgia Tech baseball team on Sunday, pitching a scoreless inning in relief in a 9-8 win over Albany.
The former Packer, who is recovering from elbow ligament replacement surgery, retired all three batters he faced and struck out two.
The 5-2 Yellow Jackets played Tuesday at Auburn.
• Mack Hathcock went 2-for-3 and scored a run in Northwest Florida State’s 5-4 Valentine’s Day win over Central Alabama Community.
• Colquitt County head football coach Rush Propst will be one of several coaches featured at the University of Georgia Spring Football Coaches Clinic to be held March 26-27.
Jackson Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley will be the speaker. The event also will feature former Georgia football coach and athletic director Vince Dooley, 1982 Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker and 2014 NFL Man of the Year Thomas Davis of the Carolina Panthers, a former Georgia All-American.
• Former Packers offensive coordinator Shawn Sutton was recently named as the head football coach at Troup High School in LaGrange.
Sutton was an assistant under Propst at both Hoover (Ala.) and Colquitt County.
Last season, he was he receivers coach at Faulkner University in Montgomery, Ala.
• The Vanessa Taylor-coached North Carolina Central women’s basketball team defeated Morgan State 63-47 on Saturday and has won four of its last seven games.
NCCU will play next on Saturday when it play host to Bethune-Cookman.
• Taylor Owens went 2-for-3 with two runs batted in to help the Abraham Baldwin College women’s softball team take a 10-1 victory over Andrew College.
The former Lady Packer is hitting. 300 with three RBIs and a stolen base in seven games with the Fillies.