Colquitt County managed just five hits and stranded seven base runners to drop the first game of its Class AAAAAA playoff-opening doubleheader 3-0 at East Coweta on Friday.

The second game is expected to start about 5:30 p.m.

If the Packers can win Game 2, a third and deciding game will begin at noon on Saturday.

The Packers had just two runners reach third base – and none over the final four innings – against East Coweta starter Austin Bellamy, who raised his record to 10-1.

Colquitt stranded two runners in both the second and third innings and managed just two hits the rest of the way.

The loss wasted a fine pitching performance by senior right-hander Clayton Brown, who gave up just four hits and two walks while striking out eight Indians.

East Coweta, which raised its record to 21-5, scored the only run it would need in the bottom of the second when Matt Meyer led off with a double and scored on a single by catcher Austin Jones.

The other two runs came in fourth when Brown hit Nick Pippin with a pitch to open the inning.

Bryce Gmmel singled to left and Meyer followed with his second double to score Pippin and send Gemmel to third.

Gemmel scored on a wild pitch before Brown fanned the next three batters to end the inning.

Brown walked a batter in the fifth and sixth, but was able to pitch out of trouble.

The Packers got singles from Daniel Mobley, Gabe Mobley, Ryan Pipkin and Preston Berry and had a double from Andy Bush to open the top of the seventh.

Gabe Mobley reached on a one-out infield hit in the second and made his way to third when Pipkin was hit by and pitch and Bush hit into a fielder’s choice, but was left at third.

Berry opened the third with a single and went to second when Indians left fielder McKenzie Martin bobbled the ball.

Tony Simpson replaced Berry as a courtesy runner and went to third on a one-out infield hit by Daniel Mobley. But Simpson, too, was stranded.

Only Pipkin, who singled and went to second on a wild pitch in the fourth, and Bush got as far as second base in the final four innings.

With the first game loss the Packers fall to 14-13.

The first game took just one hour and 31 minutes to complete.

React to this story:


Recommended for you