MOULTRIE — Twenty years to the month after the Colquitt County football team defeated Valdosta 7-0 at Cleveland Field in what has become known as the 20/20 game, the Packers got another seven-point victory at the Wildcats’ place that also is likely to be talked about for years to come.

In what is easily the biggest victory since Rush Propst took over the Colquitt County program last year, the Packers got a 43-yard fourth-quarter touchdown pass from Tyler Brown to Quin Roberson to defeat the Wildcats 14-7.

The victory could go a long way toward perhaps sending Colquitt County to the playoffs for the first time since 2005.

The Packers are now 2-1 in the Region 1-AAAAA standings with two of its next three games — Tift County and Houston County at home — against teams below them in the league standings.

Four victories will likely get the Packers to the postseason.

“It’d rate it as one of our biggest wins,” said Propst, still wet from a post-game Gatorade dousing courtesy of his players and before leading the Packers on a victory lap around the Courthouse Square. “Especially considering where we’ve been the last couple years.

“When you can beat Valdosta at Valdosta, it has to rate as one of the best ever. It is one of the best victories I’ve ever had.”

Propst said he was amazed at the Colquitt County crowd that he said appeared more enthusiastic than the one on the home side of Bazemore-Hyder Stadium at Cleveland Field.

And that enthusiasm carried over on to the field, he said.

“I think we just wanted it more,” Propst said.

It certainly appeared that way in the second half, when the Packers held the Wildcats to just 44 yards and four first downs and, most importantly, no touchdowns.

Colquitt County senior cornerback Amel Magwood had plenty to do with that, amazingly coming up with four interceptions in the half, including three in the fourth quarter after the Packers had tied the game.

And for the game, the Packers tackled Vikings backs 13 times behind the line of scrimmage. The result? Valdosta rushed 38 times for just 25 yards.

And 46 of the Wildcats 165 total yards came on the first play of the game when quarterback DaShay March completed a pass to Malcolm Mitchell.

The Wildcats were unable to capitalize on the big completion, however, and were forced to punt three plays later.

The Packers, held to just 20 total yards in the first half, accounted for 223 in the second.

Junior quarterback Tyler Brown was cool and confident throughout, but played perhaps his best football of the season in the second half when he went 10-for-12 for 160 yards and the touchdown 43-yard pass to Quin Roberson with 3:08 left in the game that provided the eventual winning points.

Colquitt was bedeviled by poor field position in the first half, starting on its own 20, 11, 32 and 16. The Packers did not get their first first down until 3:57 remained in the half and did not reach Valdosta territory until second play of the second half.

Trailing 7-0 at the half, the Packers had their first scoring opportunity on their first drive of the second half when a Brown connected with Jacob Propst on a 33-yard completion to the Valdosta 6.

But the play was nullified on an illegal motion penalty and two plays later a 52-yard field goal attempt by Tyler Dismuke was plenty long enough, but just wide left.

The Packers did not squander their next possession.

After forcing a Valdosta punt, Colquitt drove 58 yards on nine plays, with Tevin King going around left end to score from 13 yards out. Rich Tyndall’s conversion tied the game at 7-7.

D’Amonte Ridley, getting his first extensive work in the backfield, had runs of 12 and nine yards on the drive. Brown also had completions of five yards to Ty Smith and 10 yards to Roberson to keep the drive alive.

Magwood’s first interception stopped the next Valdosta possession and the Packers then drove from their own 27 to the Valdosta 19, where Ridley coughed up the ball.

But Magwood picked off his second pass on Valdosta’s first play and the Packers were back in business.

Again Colquitt drove the football, reaching a fourth-and-1 at the Wildcats 11.

Propst initially sent Dismuke on to the field to attempt a field goal that would give the Packers a 10-7 lead with 8:01 left in the game.

But after Valdosta called a timeout, Propst changed his mind, send Roberson in at quarterback in what the Packers call their jumbo package.

Roberson took the snap and appeared to have room to run for the first down, but slipped on the artificial turf and went down short of the first down and the ball went over to the Wildcats.

“That was my fault,” Propst said. “We should have kicked it. I let my emotions and the crowd talk me into it.”

But the decision did not come back to haunt the Packers this night.

Valdosta was forced to punt away its next possession and five plays later, the Packers faced a second-and-11 from the Wildcats 44.

Brown had plenty of time in the pocket, checked his reads and finally spied Roberson at least 15 yards behind the secondary, running free.

But Brown overshot him by a good distance, setting up third down.

The Packers called the same play, Brown again went through his reads, starting with Roberson and finishing with Roberson and again found him in the open in the center of the field.

This time, he did not miss and the touchdown and Tyndall’s conversion gave the Packers a 14-7 lead with 3:08 left.

“We had him double-covered and I don’t know why they came off of him,” Valdosta coach Rick Tomberlin told The Valdosta Daily Times after the game.

“On the headsets, I heard our defensive coach to stay on him. I guess it was just a mental mistake. I heard our coaches make the correction, but the kids just didn’t do it for whatever reason.”

The Wildcats had two more possessions, but Magwood picked off passes to end them both.

Valdosta was forced to use three quarterbacks in the game.

March, who suffered a hip pointer in the victory over Warner Robins the week before, played just the first two series and except for the long pass to Mitchell to open the game, was not effective.

An outstanding runner, March carried four times for minus-19 yards.

Burney played much of the game under center for the Wildcats, but injured a shoulder and Valdosta turned to Prain when it needed to throw.

Prain’s first attempt went for 21 yards and a touchdown to Mitchell in the second quarter. But he was 3-for-9 the rest of the way and was victimized by three of Magwood’s picks.

Propst said he was especially pleased with the defensive effort of his team on first down. And offensively, he said the Packers tried to establish the run and then tried to throw when they were expected to run and run when the Wildcats might expect a pass.

Colquitt never was able to shake loose King, who was the region’s third-leading rusher with 536 yards on 61 carries going into the game.

King had just 34 yards on 13 carries as the Packers ran for just 38 yards on 31 attempts.

But Brown and the defense made up for that.

Brown finished completing 15-of-21 passes for 205 yards and the touchdown. Roberson added to his region-leading receiving totals by catching six balls for 96 yards and a score.

King caught five passes for 62 yards.

The Packers will try to go to 6-1 overall and 3-1 in the region when they play host to Tift County on Friday at Tom White Field at Mack Tharpe Stadium.

The Blue Devils are 2-4 overall and 1-2 in region after defeating Houston County 33-14 in Tifton in their Homecoming game on Friday.

PACKERS NOTES: Only Thomasville of the Packers three non-region opponents won on Friday.

The Bulldogs shut out Early County 37-0 to raise their record to 3-2.

Wayne County was defeated by Brunswick 40-14 to fall to 1-5 and Randolph-Clay lost to Wilkinson County 39-8 to fall to 0-5.

In other games of local interest, Thomas County Central won over Americus-Sumter County 40-14; Jones County defeated Bainbridge 28-19; Westside Macon rolled over Lee County 56-22; Cairo had little trouble with Worth County 33-6; and Brooks County blanked Mitchell County 42-0.

React to this story: